University Housing and Dining takes student safety very seriously. Please familiarize yourself with the Residence Hall Manual, which includes detailed information about emergency preparedness, hall evacuation areas, fire & life safety checks and more.
There are many things you can do to help keep your property, and yourself, safe. If you ever feel unsafe on campus, call 9-1-1. If you want to reach UTPD's Administrative Line call 512-471-4441.
- Lock your door whenever you leave. Take your keys with you, even if you'll be gone a short while.
- Keep all doors locked when you are sleeping.
- Never lend out your keys or leave your door unlocked for a friend.
- Do not allow strangers to enter your room unless they are properly identified.
- Do not keep large sums of money in your room.
- Get to know your neighbors.
- Do not prop open outside doors or your room door.
- If a taxi or automobile drops you off, ask the driver to wait until you are safely inside.
- Have the access card to your apartment ready as you approach your building.
- Use SURE Walk to avoid walking alone at night.
- When walking, avoid dark, vacant or deserted areas. If you are followed or see suspicious activity, move to a lighted building or area and raise a commotion.
- Activate a Police Help Phone (the yellow call box with a blue light on top) or a fire box.
- Keep your keys in hand when you are walking at night.
- Carry a noise-making device, such as a whistle, and have it ready to use.
- Be alert, observant and aware of your surroundings and any other people on the street with you.
- If you work or study late, alert a friend so they know where you are and when you will return.
- Individuals who use alcohol should drink in moderation to avoid situations where their judgment would be impaired.
Did You Know?
University Housing and Dining has staff in every residence hall 24/7. Staff is there to help with emergencies, report suspicious activity and assist with student questions.
The residence halls put on security programming every year. From self-defense classes to fire-safety drills, your residence hall is bringing important safety information to you throughout the year.
Some safety issues, like a broken lock or leaky faucet, need to be addressed and fixed by University Housing and Dining staff. Fill out a Maintenance Request Form on your My Housing page to let staff know about any maintenance needs in the buildings.