Returning Residents

Three UT students pose together with UHD bucket hats at the fall 2023 Northside Bash

Are you a current resident looking to live on campus again? Review key dates and details so you can submit your application promptly. Continuing to live on campus is one of the best ways to enhance your college experience.

How to Live on Campus Again

Beginning in November, contracts for students currently living with us will be offered based on application date order and availability.

To access your application and contract, please log in to your housing portal. You will need to provide a $50 non-refundable application fee to complete the application. The priority deadline to complete the application and submit the $50 application fee is Oct. 31. Once you are offered a contract, you will need to provide a $300 advance payment in order to sign it. Once you have signed your contract, you will be able to provide information regarding your building/room preferences, roommate preferences and accommodation requests.

Please contact our housing office if you have any questions.

Timeline for 2023-24 Academic Year Contracts


Contracting for the following academic year begins one year in advance. The calendar below outlines the application and contract timeline for current residents who would like to live on campus again.

Aug. 1Current residents may begin applying for housing. Please note that your housing priority is based on your classification and your application date (priority is given to earlier applicants).
Nov. 1Contracts for returning students will be offered based on application date and availability. Accept your contract and provide the required $300 advance payment in your housing portal, which will give you access to the contract signature page. Once you have signed your contract, you will be able to provide information regarding your building/room preferences, roommate preferences and accommodation requests.
Nov. 1-15Same Room Sign Up: Starting at 10 a.m. on Nov. 1, students with a completed contract will be able to choose to remain in their current room assignment for the following academic year.
Nov. 16-18Early New Room Sign Up: From Nov. 16 at 10 a.m. through Nov. 18 at 10 a.m., students whose current room assignment is not available for reselection will be able to choose a new room assignment.
Nov. 22-28New Room Sign Up: From Nov. 22 at 10 a.m. through Nov. 28 at 10 a.m., students who do not wish to return to their current room assignment will be able to select a different room for the following academic year. Students will also be able to swap room assignments during this period.


How are contract offers prioritized?

We prioritize incoming first-time freshmen in our contract process. We may limit the number of contracts we offer to returning students based on the expected size of the incoming class. Contracts will be offered to returning students based on available space and their housing application date.

How do I complete my application?

Access the online application in the housing portal. There is a non-refundable $50 application fee.  For online payments, we accept Discover, MasterCard, Visa, eChecks or an Electronic Funds Transfer. To pay by cash or check in person at the Cashier’s Office, you must first email our housing team. You must pay the application fee and click the submit button to complete the application process.

What is the deadline to apply for housing as a returning student?

There is no deadline to apply for housing but priority is given by housing application date. If you missed the renewal process, you can still apply for housing; however, we cannot guarantee you will receive a contract offer.

If you were not offered a contract during the renewal process, you will be placed on the waitlist. We offer contracts to returning students on the waitlist, based on available space, after all incoming first-time freshmen have been offered a contract.

What if I was waived last year from paying the application fee and advance payment?

Waivers are not available for returning students. Waivers are tied to the University Admissions process and are only available for incoming students. Returning students must pay the $50 application fee and the $300 advance payment.

What if I want to live in Honors Housing?

Only Honors Housing residents are eligible to request a room in one of our four Honors Housing residence halls (Andrews, Blanton, Carothers and Littlefield). If you currently live in one of these halls, you will be given the option to request Honors Housing when you update your housing choices.

What if I have a poor payment history or a poor disciplinary status with University Housing and Dining?

If you have a financial hold totaling more than $1,000 or a past due balance, you will not be eligible to receive a contract. If you receive a contract and have a poor payment history or a poor disciplinary status, your contract will be canceled at our sole discretion.

What if I would like a single space?

If you currently have a single, a single contract will be offered. Residents who live in a Littlefield single, however, are not automatically offered a single contract. Single contract offer deadlines are typically earlier than shared space contract offers, so make sure you check your account carefully.

New single requests can be considered when you indicate your request with your contract housing choices online. Singles are offered based on availability and original date of application.

Is gender-inclusive housing offered?

The new Family and Friend Expanded Roommate Option allows enrolled students to select a student who is also currently enrolled at the university as a roommate, regardless of their gender, sexual or gender identity. Please visit the Family and Friend Expanded Roommate Option webpage for more information.

What if I don’t identify as the gender indicated on my UT record?

As an enrolled student, you can change your gender marker by submitting a signed letter to the Registrar requesting the gender marker change. Include your EID, date of birth, full name and phone number in the request. The gender choices for this process are F and M. Questions regarding this process can be directed to the office of Student Academic Records located in the Main Tower (MAI 16) by email or calling 512-475-7644.

Should I verify my housing status after I receive my room assignment?

Check your housing status online throughout the summer. Your room assignment can change based on your requests and upperclassmen being paired up. Keep all contact information updated to receive communication.

Does the housing contract include parking?

Parking is not included in the housing contract. Parking and Transportation Services manages student parking. If you have questions about parking, email Parking and Transportation Services or call them at 512-471-PARK.