Future Residents

Future Residents - resident at checkin

Are you a future Longhorn coming to campus for your first year? Learn everything you need to know about applying to live in our residence halls. Our on-campus residence halls provide worry-free living environments designed to help you thrive. They offer unique communities full of resources, support, convenience, events and thousands of fellow Longhorns. Options range from mixed- and same-gender residence halls to dedicated Living Learning Communities. We prioritize incoming first-time freshmen in our contract process and may limit the number of contracts we offer to other students based on the expected size of the incoming class. Get your Forty Acres journey started and apply now.



How does the process work?

Step 1: 
Complete your University of Texas at Austin admission application. Once completed, you are eligible to start your housing applica­tion, which opens on Aug. 1. You do not have to be admitted to the university to apply for housing.

Step 2: 
Submit your housing application, which will secure you on our waiting list. The sooner you apply for housing, the higher you will be on our waiting list, which betters your chances of getting a contract. There is a $50 non-refundable application fee. Your housing fee is waived if your admission application fee was waived.

Step 3:  
Accept admission to the university. Accept your admission by the May 1 deadline and pay your enrollment deposit. Then you'll be eligible to receive a housing contract.

Step 4:  
Receive your housing contract offer. Contracts are emailed on the 1st and 15th of the month, starting March 1. Check for this email regularly, and once received, please note the contract offer expiration date listed in the email. A $300 advance payment must be submitted prior to signing your contract. If your admission application fee was waived, your housing advance payment is deferred. If you are younger than 18, you will need a guarantor who is 18 or older to sign your housing contract.

Missed the deadline to sign your contract? Our housing reservations team can help. Call 512-471-3136 or email our housing team.

Step 5:  
Explore your hall and room choices. You can register for a residence hall tour through Admissions. For virtual tours, see our individual residence hall location pages.

Step 6:  
Complete your preferences in the housing portal. Select your preferences for buildings, bathrooms and roommates. Use our Roommate Profile Tool to search and pair with a roommate.

Step 7: 
Apply for a Living Learning Community (LLC), which houses you with others who share your interests, lifestyle or commitment to a major.

Step 8: 
Receive your room selection time. You will receive an email by June 1 with your time slot to choose your room. If you are paired with a roommate, the roommate with the earliest time slot can assign both of you to a room based on available space.

Step 9: 
Explore available options and choose your room. General room selection begins June 8. The room assignment process for LLCs begins June 1.

Step 10:  
After the room selection process concludes, any student with a room assignment has the option to swap rooms through the room swap page. You can search available rooms and switch through July 31.

Step 11:  
Prepare to move to the Forty Acres.

How are contract offers prioritized?

We prioritize incoming first-time freshmen in our contract process. We may limit the number of contracts we offer to other students based on the expected size of the incoming class. Contracts will be offered based on available space and their housing application date.

How can I request accessible accommodations?

If you have a medical or disability-related need that impacts where you will live, please indicate the type of accommodation you will require in the space provided on your housing application. You will need to submit a request and documentation to Disability and Access (D&A). They will review the documentation you provide and forward our office the recommendations regarding your housing accommodations. All disability information will be kept confidential within D&A. Your request will not be processed unless you submit the documentation to D&A. Learn more about the complete accommodation request process through D&A.

How much does it cost?

Prices vary based on where you live and what room type you have (a single room vs. a double; a connecting bathroom vs. community bath). See our residence hall rates page for comprehensive rates in our on-campus residence halls.

Room Selection

How can I submit my housing preferences?

You can submit your housing preferences once you have submitted your housing contract and satisfied the $300 housing advance payment. You are able to submit preferences for your residence hall, bathroom type and roommate(s). You can also apply for Living Learning Communities (LLCs). The deadline to apply for most LLCs is May 3.

You have until July 1 to complete your room preferences, and you may change them as many times as you want up until that date.

How does the room assignment process work?

Please see our room assignment process page.

What is the likelihood that I will be assigned to my preferred housing?

Room assignments are made in housing application date order. Students who submit their application early are more likely to receive their top preferences. Since the academic year housing application opens on August 1, students who wait to apply for housing may not receive their top housing preferences.

What is the likelihood that I will be assigned to my preferred roommate?

Although we try our best to satisfy your roommate choice, roommate preferences are not guaranteed for those offered late contracts and supplemental contract holders.

Can I get a single space?

There are very few single spaces on campus. If you request a single space and we are unable to accommodate your request, you will be offered a shared space and automatically be put on our single space waiting list.

Is gender-inclusive housing offered?

The new Family and Friend Expanded Roommate Option allows enrolled students to select a student who is also currently enrolled at the university as a roommate, regardless of their gender, sexual or gender identity. Please visit the Family and Friend Expanded Roommate Option webpage for more information.

What if I don’t identify as the gender indicated on my UT record?

As a first-time admitted student who is not yet enrolled, you can change your gender marker by submitting a signed request to the Office of Admissions with your EID, date of birth, full name and phone number indicating the gender marker change. The gender choices for this process are F and M. Questions regarding this process can be directed to the Office of Admissions located in Walter Webb Hall by email or calling 512-475-7399.


When is the first housing bill due? How can I make a payment?

The first housing bill for fall and spring contracts is due by 5 p.m. CST on the 12th class day of the fall term. The first housing bill for spring-only contracts is due by 5 p.m. CST on the 12th class day of the spring term. For 12th class day dates, please see the University academic calendar webpage and select the academic year that applies to your housing contract. Fall housing bills post in mid-August and spring housing bills post by mid-January on the My Housing page. Payments can be made on What I Owe. For more information about payment plan types, payment options and installments, please see our residence hall rates page.

What is eProxy?

An eProxy is someone who has obtained a UT EID and has been granted the authority to access another person's electronic records through the web services offered here at UT. An eProxy is authorized by service (so you may be authorized for one service but not another), and each authorization is valid for up to one year as specified by the granter. Learn more about the eProxy system.

Is my $300 advance room payment deducted from my total residence hall room contract amount?

Yes, it is deducted from the total amount shown on your contract. The balance owed will be listed on your first statement.

Housing Contract

How does the resident meal plan work? What is Bevo Pay?

Please see our resident meal plans and Bevo Pay pages for more information.

Does the housing contract include parking?

Parking is not included in the housing contract. Parking and Transportation Services manages student parking. If you have questions about parking, email Parking and Transportation Services or call them at 512-471-PARK.

What are the rules in the residence halls?

Read your Residence Hall Manual to learn about the rules and regulations of residence hall life.

What are the Terms and Conditions for the residence halls?

See the 2023-24 Contract Terms and Conditions. Preview the 2024-25 Terms and Conditions.


What is Mooov-In?

Mooov-In is our annual check-in event for students moving to campus. Use our comprehensive Mooov-In guide to learn more.

What should I bring with me to live on campus?

Check out our what to bring page.