What To Bring

We know you are itching to get into your room in the residence halls! But what should you bring to live on campus? See our handy infographic.

What Will You Find In Your Room?

No matter which residence hall you live in, every room contains:

  • Desk and chair
  • Dresser
  • Extra-long twin bed*
  • MicroFridge (combination microwave and mini-refrigerator/freezer)
  • Hanging space
  • Shelves
  • ResNet Internet Service
  • Recycling container and wastebasket
  • Cable TV Service
  • Window blinds

If your room has a connecting or private bath, the bathroom will also contain a shower curtain.
*While some rooms in Kinsolving or Littlefield may have twin beds, it is still recommended that all residents bring extra-long twin bedding.


What Should I Pack?

  • Your Photo ID: You will need a photo ID for check-in.
  • Sheets, towels and other linens: Extra-long twin sheets (XL twin), pillow, blanket, comforter, mattress pad, towels, washcloth, etc. Your bed comes with a mattress, so you don't need to pack that.
  • Bathroom supplies: If your room has a connecting or private bath you will need to bring toilet tissue, hand soap and bathroom cleaners. After you check in, connecting and private baths are not supplied with toilet tissue, and you and your roommate will be responsible for cleaning and maintaining them. Shower curtains are provided, but students can feel free to bring a decorative shower curtain. For students who have a community bathroom, that bathroom is stocked and cleaned by UT Housing staff. Everyone will want to bring typical toiletry items, a shower caddy/tote and shower shoes.
  • Clothing: While every room has hanging space and a dresser, you may run out of room for every piece of clothing (or pair of shoes) that you own. Think practically about what you will need/wear. If you're planning on going home at Thanksgiving or Winter Break, maybe you can trade out summer and winter clothing at that time. Realize that you will end up getting lots of t-shirts from different organizations around campus. Plan ahead and be realistic!
  • Removable adhesive: Tape, tacks or nails cannot be used on the walls (but are ok on bulletin boards). Removable adhesive may be used for hanging posters and pictures on walls. Please be advised that any damage to the walls or the paint will result in damage charges when you move out in May.
  • Network cable for your computer: Cat 5 or Cat 6, 15-foot recommended maximum length.
  • Cable jumper for your T.V.: You will need to provide a cable jumper to connect your television to the wall outlet. Our cable provider recommends a high quality cable jumper, size RG-6 or RG-59, 750 ohm rated, with screw on connections.
  • Study light: CFL bulbs or LED lights only.
  • Dishes: Silverware, cups, plates, bowls, glasses, dish soap, dish towel, paper towels, etc.
  • Power strips: Power strips are used instead of extension cords. The power strip must be rated for a maximum of 15 amps and 1875 watts and have a built-in circuit breaker.
  • Laundry supplies: Laundry basket or bag, low-sudsing (high efficiency) detergent for front loading washer, fabric softener, stain fighters, etc. There are laundry facilities in every hall. Laundry services are available for residents and are included in the housing rate. Washers and dryers, as well a ironing boards, are provided in the cost of housing.
  • Health care products: First aid kit, allergy, headache or stomach medications, adhesive bandages, sunscreen, etc.
  • Lock: There is a lockable drawer for each roommate in every residence hall room. Bring your own lock and use it to keep valuables safe.
  • Throw rug: Student rooms are not carpeted. A 4' by 6' or 5' by 8' rug should fit in all rooms. We recommend that you coordinate bringing a rug with your roommate ahead of time.
  • Appliances that ARE allowed: Coffee pot (12 cups and under), water kettle (hot pot), iron, blender, coffee grinder, food dehydrator, juicer, electric can opener, electric blanket and heating pad (blankets and heating pads must be UL rated and plugged into the power strip). Please see below for a listing of appliances that are not allowed in the halls. If there is an appliance you are interested in bringing but is not featured on either list, please contact UT Housing for clarification.
  • Window covering: UT Housing recommends that you arrive in your room and measure your specific window before purchasing or bringing any window coverings. Spring-hanging tension rods are recommended.


What Should I Leave At Home?

  • Pets: Only fish in a five gallon or less aquarium are permitted.
  • Decorative lighting (see lighting in Res Hall Manual): Black light bulbs, Halogen lamps, holiday lights, incandescent bulbs, lanterns with bulbs, neon lights, paper lamp shades, rope/string lights (including LED), glow lights, or torchiere lamp are not allowed.
  • Fireworks, explosives, and weapons (see license to carry handgun policy for residence halls in the Res Hall Manual).
  • Candles or incense: Open flames are prohibited in the residence halls. Even candles that have never been used are not allowed. Battery-operated (flameless) candles are a great alternative.
  • Extension cords or multi-plug converters without a built in circuit breaker: Use a power strip instead.
  • Toilet seat and lid: You will need to use the toilet seat provided in your private or community bath and are not allowed to bring and install your own.
  • Toxic chemicals or hazardous materials
  • Combustible materials (flammable or combustible liquids, solids, gases or hazardous materials)
  • Grills: propane, charcoal, wood-fired
  • Mattress: You will need to use the mattress provided in your room and are not allowed to bring a separate mattress. A mattress cover or pad is allowed.
  • Homemade furniture
  • University furniture not assigned to you: If the furniture is from a study lounge, that's where it belongs.
  • Lofts: Self-built or purchased lofts are not allowed. If your bed is able to be lofted, UT Housing will provide the lofting equipment for you.
  • Multi-Port USB Chargers
  • Wireless router
  • 3D printers
  • Electrical appliances, equipment, or other devices that are not UL approved and/or labeled
  • Excessive amounts of paper on door or wall (e.g. larger than two 8 X 11)
  • Appliances that are NOT allowed: By order of the University Fire Marshal, the use of any appliance with open heating coils is prohibited. Appliances that are not allowed include crock pot, electric wok, electric skillet, George Foreman Grill or similar, air fryer, Instant Pot, hamburger cooker, hot plate or any appliance with open heating coils, rice cooker, toaster, toaster oven, deep fryer, electric sandwich maker/press, waffle maker, bread maker, hot cutter, hot oil popcorn popper, broilers, camp stoves, coffee/drink warmer, microwave (comes with room), refrigerator (comes with room), convection ovens, induction cooking appliances, plug-in air fresheners, wax warmers, diffusers, potpourri warmers, Scentsy or other heated fragrance devices, grills (propane, wood-fired or charcoal), soldering iron, space heater or any electrical appliance that is not UL approved and/or labeled. Please see above for a listing of appliances that are allowed in the halls. If there is an appliance you are interested in bringing but is not featured on either list, please contact UT Housing for clarification.