University Housing and Dining takes student safety very seriously. Please familiarize yourself with the University Apartment Manual, which includes detailed information about emergency preparedness, evacuation areas, fire & life safety details and more.
There are many things you can do to help keep your property, and yourself, safe. If you ever feel unsafe on campus, call 9-1-1. If you want to reach UTPD's Administrative Line call 512-471-4441.
- Get to know your neighbors.
- If a taxi or automobile drops you off, ask the driver to wait until you are safely inside.
- Use SURE Walk to avoid walking alone at night.
- When walking, avoid dark, vacant or deserted areas. If you are followed or see suspicious activity, move to a lighted building or area and raise a commotion.
- Activate a Police Help Phone (the yellow call box with a blue light on top) or a fire box.
- Keep your keys in hand when you are walking at night.
- Carry a noise-making device, such as a whistle, and have it ready to use.
- Be alert, observant and aware of your surroundings and any other people on the street with you.
- If you work or study late, alert a friend so they know where you are and when you will return.
- Individuals who use alcohol should drink in moderation to avoid situations where their judgment would be impaired.