This page will guide you through the Mooov-In process. Before you arrive, make sure you've looked at this information as well.
We're looking forward to seeing you on campus! Hook 'em!
Checking In On Campus
1. Decide When You Are Checking In
- Mooov-In begins August 24! If you check in August 24 or 25 from 7 a.m. - 7 p.m. (official Mooov-In times): Regular check-in will take place at UFCU Disch-Falk Field. UFCU Disch-Falk Field is listed as DFF on the map. This is the central location for check-in on Friday and Saturday only, August 24 and 25 from 7 a.m. - 7 p.m. Since the majority of students check-in during this time, we host check-in at DFF to accommodate everyone in a much faster and more streamlined way. Don't unload all your stuff at DFF; just pick up the check-in info and then head to the residence hall.
Centralized Check In
If you check in prior to 5 a.m. or after 8 p.m. on August 24 or 25 or anytime during early/late arrival: The halls are open 24 hours a day for check-in. If you are checking in at a time when we are not doing centralized check-in at DFF, see the chart below to find out where your check-in location will be. NOTE: All Check-In stations and desks are CLOSED on Friday and Saturday, August 24 and 25 from 5 a.m - 7 a.m. and from 7 p.m. - 8 p.m. while keys are being moved to and from the residence hall desks.
Since you are checking in at the residence hall desk, you may need a Temporary Parking Permit until you are able to obtain your Unloading Parking Permit for your assigned residence hall. The Temporary Permit can only be used for a maximum of 15 minutes while you obtain your Unloading Parking Permit at check-in.
If your room is in... Check In at: Andrews, Blanton,
Quad Desk (Carothers Desk) Whitis Court, Duren Duren Desk Kinsolving Kinsolving Desk Jester East Jester East Desk Jester West Jester West Desk Brackenridge, Roberts, Prather Prather Desk Moore-Hill, Creekside Moore-Hill Desk San Jacinto San Jacinto Desk
- If you need to move in after August 25: You MUST notify UHD in advance to avoid having your contract canceled. You can do this online. You are required to check in by 4 p.m. on Tuesday, August 28.
2. Officially Schedule Your Check-In Time
Sign up for a check-in time before August 13. The check-in scheduler is available on your Housing Portal page beginning in late July. We will send an email to all contract holders when the check-in scheduler is available.
3. Arrive During Your Allotted Time
Please arrive during your allotted time. If a traffic jam or unexpected delay causes you to be a few minutes late... relax and drive safely. You do not need to notify UHD that you are running behind. However, if you are running hours (or a day) late, try to update the check-in scheduler online or email UT Housing.
4. Complete The Process
Bring your UT ID Card or photo ID to the check-in location. After you accept your key, you cannot be released from your contract. The 2018-2019 housing contract ends May 15, 2019. Refer to the Terms and Conditions for further information.
5. Unload and Move In
Designated loading zone parking spaces are available around each residence hall. Sixty-minute loading zone permits will be available when you check in. Participating volunteers will be wearing an official Mooov-In t-shirt, and they will be able to help you with any questions.
Check-in is allowed 24 hours a day. Out of courtesy for other residents already in the building, we do ask that from 10 p.m. to 7 a.m. you move only what is necessary to your room in order to reduce noise during sleeping hours.
6. Instructions for early move in:
Early check in will start at 3pm on August the 20th. Please do not try to move in prior to this time if you are moving in on the 20th. Just a reminder, early move in is $50 a day, but nothing will be billed until you move in. The fee will be charged to your What I Owe as part of your housing bill. Nothing is due until the first payment of the housing bill, which is September 15th. You will not need to pay anything when checking in. You will show up on the date you have chosen, and check in at the front desk of your hall.
You can move in at any time on the day you selected (after 3pm on Monday the 20th), but the start time will show as midnight on the move in registration tab in your housing application since you are just picking a day in the system. At the front desk, you will receive your room key, have your ID card activated for access to your hall and Dine in Dollars/Bevo Bucks loaded, and receive a loading zone permit. You will be able to park your car in the loading zone near your residence hall in specified loading zones as you unload your things, and can park your car in a nearby garage once the loading zone permit expires.
Parking During Mooov-In
Parking around UT Austin can be tricky. Follow these tips to make your parking experience a more positive one!
- Unloading: During check-in you will receive a sixty-minute loading zone permit. After unloading the vehicle, please move it to an appropriate parking area. Tickets will be given to vehicles who stay in an unloading zone past their sixty minute time frame.
- Garages (R Permit): Any resident who was offered and paid for a parking garage resident permit must park in the garage they received in the lottery. Use the access card attached to your permit that was mailed to you. If you have not yet received your permit and access card, pull a garage entry ticket and park your vehicle. For staffed garages during business hours (weekdays 8 a.m.-5 p.m.) take the pulled ticket and a photo ID to the garage office to obtain a temporary parking garage access card and temporary dashboard permit. For unstaffed garages, bring your ticket and photo ID to the nearest staffed garage for assistance.
- Surface Lots (C Permits): Students may purchase a C Permit online at parking.utexas.edu or at any staffed garage office.
- Parking at UFCU Disch-Falk Field: The East Campus Garage (ECG) is free and available for parking from August 24 at 6 a.m. to August 25 at 9 p.m. while you pick up your check-in information at UFCU Disch-Falk Field.
- The check-in scheduler helps limit the amount of traffic on campus. Less hectic traffic typically occurs during early morning or late evening check-in times.
- Parking is limited, so please bring only needed vehicles to campus during this time. Cars with trailers may be difficult to find parking for in loading zone spaces and will not fit in the decks, and therefore are not recommended.
Advice From Current Students
So you've moved in; now what? Some advice from current students about what to do once you've moved in:
- Introduce yourself to your RA. Ask your RA or returning neighbors for a tour of the building.
- Walk around your building's area (Whitis, Waller Creek, or Jester Center) to learn more about where you live.
- Get to know the other people moving in. You'll be living with them all year, so reach out now!
- Get out of your room, meet your neighbors, and don't be afraid to talk to strangers. They won't be strangers for long!
- Don't worry about making sure that everything in your room is exactly where you want it the very first day. You have a whole year to arrange (and rearrange) your room.
- Leave your room! Go to public areas in order to meet new people.
- Invite a neighbor to dinner.
- The first week is when a lot of new friendships are made, so don't be shy.
- Within the first week, make a map to find your classes and walk your route. Learn how long it will take you to get to class before classes start.
- Ask questions. Your RA or returning residents probably know a few tricks about your residence hall, but they wouldn't know to tell you unless you ask.
- Remember, everyone is in the same boat and eager to make new friends. You're not the only one with a little anxiety!
Did You Know?
The Residence Hall Manual has tons of useful information, including things like guest hours and emergency preparedness. Read through and understand the different policies and best practices used in the residence halls.
Interested in a student job? University Housing and Dining hires students throughout the year in a variety of different positions. Visit the Hire a Longhorn site to search for student jobs on campus.