Last updated on

We all play a part in continuing to keep our Longhorn campus community healthy by taking care of ourselves and others. This page will help provide the information you need about our operations.


What communication has University Housing and Dining sent to residents about COVID-19?

March 10, 2022 – COVID-19 self-test kit availability
Jan. 28, 2022 – Housing and Dining updates for Jan. 31
Jan. 11, 2022 – COVID-19 Testing for Spring 2022 (Dobie Twenty21)
Jan. 7, 2022 – Residence Hall and Dining Updates
Jan. 7, 2022 - Spring reminders and updates for 2400 Nueces
Dec. 23, 2021 – Housing Headlines: Spring Semester Updates
Dec. 17, 2021 – COVID-19 Testing for Spring 2022

COVID-19 Guidance

How are decisions made about campus operations?

University Housing and Dining follows the university campus closures and COVID-19 guidance. Learn more about what the university is doing to protect Texas together. You can also view announcements from President Hartzell and the university for the latest communication.

What do I do if I think I might have COVID-19?

If you have symptoms, follow University Health Services guidance for symptomatic COVID-19 testing.

If you have a positive test result and need further guidance, contact the Behavior Concerns and COVID-19 Advice Line.

For more information about COVID-19 and resources, visit the UHS website.

What if I or my roommate test positive for COVID-19?

If you become exposed or have tested positive for COVID-19, refer to the exposure action chart.

Students who test positive for COVID-19 are encouraged to isolate off-campus at a location of their choice, including their hometown, if able to travel by private vehicle. If isolating off campus is not an option, University Health Services has created guidance for isolation-in-place, a practice endorsed by the American College Health Association, to minimize the risk of further exposure.

Is a COVID-19 vaccination required for students living on campus?

As a way to protect yourself and others from COVID-19, the university is encouraging all UT community members to get vaccinated and boosted when they are eligible.

What steps are being taken for students’ health and safety?

University Housing and Dining is implementing policies and practices in alignment with the university’s health and safety guidelines. Facilities staff is taking precautions to ensure staff have appropriate personal protective equipment prior to working on the floors and entering student rooms to perform work.

How are the shared facilities being cleaned?

Our facilities staff are cleaning and disinfecting daily. All high touch areas, such as door handles, faucet handles, flush handles, elevator buttons and drinking fountains are disinfected a minimum of three times daily. All study area furniture and table tops are disinfected a minimum of two times daily.

Are students required to wear protective face masks in the residence halls and dining venues?

UT has aligned its masking guidance with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. People may choose to mask at any time, for any reason, and individuals who are immunocompromised or at high risk should continue to take precautions.

Housing and Dining

Am I able to cancel my housing contract for COVID-19 related reasons?

All cancellation requests require approval from our housing office. Cancellation fees may apply. If a student wishes to cancel their contract, they are asked to contact our office at, or request to speak with someone by calling 512-471-3136.

What is the best way for me to get a question answered about my housing contract?

Please contact our office for questions regarding housing. For quicker responses, email us at, or request to speak with a housing representative by calling 512-471-3136.

What if I’m unable to go to the dining hall due to a health-related concern?

Any student who lives in an on-campus residence hall with an active meal plan is eligible to use the Resident Meal Request Program to access meals during short-term periods when they are unable to visit the dining hall due to health-related concerns.

Residents are able to pre-select meal options from a pre-determined menu using our online ordering form. Each meal request covers one meal period, costs one meal swipe and will be available for pick up at either J2 or Kins Dining. Please see the online ordering form for more details about when to place orders and pick-up windows.

A designated person, other than the resident placing the request, should pick up the meal during assigned pick-up windows to allow the student to rest in their room.

If additional assistance is needed, please contact J2 Dining at 512-471-5095 or Kins Dining at 512-471-8058.